Untimely* deaths of serving & former Irish Air Corps personnel
- 77 verified deaths have occurred in total since 1980
- 64 of these deaths have occurred since 2000
- 40 of these deaths have occurred since 2010
Either the rate of death is accelerating or we are missing many deaths from previous decades or possibly both.
3 most significant causes of death
- Approximately a third of deaths are from cancer
- Approximately a third of deaths are cardiac related
- Approximately a fifth of deaths are from suicide
*We record untimely as dying at or before age 66 (civilian pension age), average age of death is 50 years. We are counting deaths from medical reasons & suicide, we are not counting accidental deaths or murder.