Untimely* deaths of serving & former Irish Air Corps personnel
- 83 verified deaths have occurred in total since 1980
- 70 of these deaths have occurred since 2000
- 46 of these deaths have occurred since 2010
Either the rate of death is accelerating or we are missing many deaths from previous decades or possibly both.
3 most significant causes of death
- 37% of deaths are from cancer
- 30% deaths are from cardiac
- At least 18% of deaths are from suicide
*We record untimely as dying at or before age 66 (civilian pension age), average age of death is 51 years. We are counting deaths from medical reasons & suicide, we are not counting accidental deaths nor murder.